This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Channel panning lost for xm export

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:03 PM
Hello Fabrizio,
thanks a lot for this fantastic Renoise exporter.
I'm trying to use it to export a Renoise song to an xm track, but in the target file I get no panning information of my channels.
Everything stays locked in the perfect center of stereo pan.
This behaviour only affects xm files, because mods are correctly formed, even if they sound so low and "occluded", as they were playing from inside a box. :)
Many thanks for your attention.
Regards.
Gabriele
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2015 at 1:27 PM
Hello Gabriele, this behaviour looks strange to me but asap I'll do a check to verify what you said.

Best regards
Fabrizio
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2015 at 9:03 AM
Sorry Gabriele, but which panning do you mean?
In XM you can only set sample panning information; channel's panning is not officially supported.
Feb 26, 2015 at 3:03 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2015 at 3:04 PM
Hi Fabrizio.
I didn't know it. And this restriction doesn't apply to mod format?
Because the song plays as expected within Renoise (I mean channel panning) and I lose the mixing only after the xm format export.
Many thanks for your clarifications.
Ciao.
Gabriele
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2015 at 3:37 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2015 at 3:38 PM
The MOD format doesn't support channing pannel too.

Just notice that if you use the empty MOD template provided by Xrns2XMod from menu
"Tools -> Xrns2XMod -> Create new -> Mod",
the panning channels are set in this way:
the 1st and the 4th have a value of 40 L
the 2nd and the 3rd have a value of 40 R

This is the approach to simulate Amiga channel's behaviour, indeed also actual mod player play in this way, unless some of these can disable this feature.
Feb 26, 2015 at 11:54 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2015 at 1:00 AM
Sure, I'd be happy to preserve or modify that channel configuration after the xm export.
I can successfully edit with renoise, export through your tool (with no stereo sound) and change every channel panning from OpenMpt or Milkytracker, even if moving outside the strict Amiga compatibility, i.e. adding more channels to the classic four.
By saving the xm from those trackers, i get correct channels configuration.
Why cannot do the same in one single pass with renoise and Xrns2XMod?
Thanks again.
Gabriele
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2015 at 8:43 AM
Again, read Initial Panning chapter of Channel Setup there .

Either MOD and XM format does NOT provide any channel initial panning setup by default, and if you try to change the initial panning from openMPT you'll notice that the value can't be changed at all (see here).
Feb 27, 2015 at 11:23 AM
My fault.
I believed that exporting from Renoise could have taken advantage from mixer/channels settings, by translating them in some magical ways, maybe through inserting a specific command to affect the panning on top of pattern playback. :)
Ok, so I must operate on single sample/instrument if I want a precise position in the stereo pan.
Many thanks for your help.